1. They are languages that all people speak across racial, cultural, social, educational, and econommic barriers
2. They integrate mind, body, and spirit
3. They provide opportunities for self expression, bringing the inner world into the outer world of reality
4. They are symbol systems as important as letters and
5. They develop both independence and collaboration
6. They are an opportunity to experience a process from beginning to end
7. They improve academic achievement- enhancing test scores, attitudes, social skills, critical and creative thinking
8. They make it possible to use personal strengths in meaningful ways
9. They exercise and develop higher order thinking skills including analysis, synthesis, evaluation and "problem- finding"
10. They provide a means for EVERY student to learn
- Adapted from Dee Dickerson - Johns Hopkins School of Education
The Art Cottage
imagine and create
Susan Giordano is established in many forms of art as she has earned her degree majoring in Graphic Design with a minor in Architecture from New York's prestigious Pratt Institute. She was the assistant art director for the Rockefeller Foundation’s RF Illustration publications and worked over a decade in one of New York City's top advertising agencies.
Susan has furthered her education with a Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts and a Master Degree in Education as a student of the renowned Pat Passloff, a protege of the infamous Willem De Kooning. Under Passloff's tutelage, Susan earned distinction from the City University of New York and won the College of Staten Island Foundation Award in Painting. Her unique artwork still hangs in the College gallery. Susan completed her certificate at Seymour Joseph Institute for American Sign Language in order to teach children and adults with special needs.
Susan has taught high school art in the New York City school district and is New York State professionally certified to teach.
In The Art Cotttage, Susan had created a curriculum specifically designed to instill confidence and expression through varying elements of art.
At The Art Cottage, we approach each artist in our art classes as an individual with their own talents and one-of-a-kind needs. Our goal is to help all artists achieve their goals and unleash their imaginative spirit.